Saturday, October 30, 2010

Activism in Food (ffp1)

In response to finishing the book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and nearing the end of the food unit in class I volunteered for the last two weekends at added-value an urban farm in Redhook, Brooklyn. Tying close with my political beliefs and what was learned in class I believe that participating in growing food locally is important.
It is important for two main reasons; local agriculture means less harm for the environment because of less transportation which burns fossil fuel. As well local agriculture makes it easier for someone such as myself to learn about farming, it is important to learn about this because I want my food to come from farms and not from factories which much of peoples food comes from. Which ties into the second main reason, locality is important because you should be not only aware of the things you use every day but also participate in making them so you can honestly acquire them. For example I enjoy volunteering on the farm because I know that the work I put in is equal to the output and that by farming I have access to more foods.
How this immediate activism in organic farming came to be was out of the education of where our foods come from. I already knew before hand a bit on the conditions of the animals: the cramped quarters, the filthy environment and the fact they are grain fed when they should not be. And honestly I didn’t really care too much I figured “if it’s how America get’s fed, then so be it”, what turned me onto more organic farming was that the alternative also abused their workers which I believed was the worst part of it. This was what I directly learned from class. So when I heard of this farm (through a classmate in fact!) I thought it was very important that I work to get this food rather than supporting these corporations that treat their workers horribly.
This unit in class has opened my eyes to how our food is made, and because light has been shined on this very dark truth I encouraged myself to set out and do something that might not attack this evil but at least not support it. A motivation of mine was my political philosophy of mutualism; of collaborating with others to help everyone who involved themselves, and since I have participated in farming on an organic farm I was actually rewarded with some of the food I helped reap.

1 comment: